Monday, March 15, 2010

Las Vegas Week

The week spent in Las Vegas was very productive. I finished the 2x2 ribbed scarf for Jo. I finished the Clapotis in Crazy Zauberball U Boot, I finished the Traveling Woman Shawl for the SF Ravelry meetup - with some modifications. I visited two yarns stores, Wooly Wonders and Gail Knits. So lets see what that looks like.

Lustra Yarn in Triomphe Teal [above]. I bought this yarn in three colorways, the other two are Burgundy and Turquoise. But the teal above is my favorite. This is a Peruvian and Tencel blend. It is unbelievably soft. Right now they are just collection additions. I will be keeping an eye out for projects.
Ty-Dy Socks Yarn in Panama [above]. There was a young lady at Gail Knits knitting a pair of socks in this yarn and I just had to buy a ball.
Whole bag of goodies from

Gail Knits, 8450 W Sahara Ave #112, Las Vegas NV 89117
www.gailknits.com

The striped yarn near the top of the bag is Merino Mia from Prism in the colorway Night Music. Oh my gosh, there were so many completed projects at Gail's in the Prism Custom Dyed Merino Mia that I cannot wait to get more colorways and knit some of them. There was a 5 color shawl, that is way more gorgeous than Charlotte's web. The pattern is featured in Vogue ( I will post more info on that when I locate it ). I bought the Night Music yarn for the Citron shawlette. On the very bottom of the bag are 4 skeins of New England Shetland in Navy. A basic 100% wool yarn. I want to make a mosaic slip stitch bag. I plan to use leftovers from my Starmore sweaters, with the Navy as the background.

Shibui Staccato [above] from Wooly Wonders 3421 W. Tropicana Ave, #H, Las Vegas, NC 89121
Ella Rae Lace Merino in a beautiful blue, also from Wooly Wonders.

Clapotis in Crazy Zauberball colorway U-Boot
2 balls on size US 6/4 mm Harmony Needles
I added three repeats in Sections 2 and 4 to make it the correct width, the gauge of Zauberball is not the same as the suggested yarn. I used all but a very small amount of the 2nd ball of yarn, maybe 3 yards. It was very close I was afraid I was going to run out. Love the yarn and the finished project. I immediately started wearing it, the wind was very cold in Vegas. Luckily I finished it the day after we got there.
Unblocked Traveling Woman Shawl by Liz Abinante in Sanguine Gryphon Eidos colorway Scylla on size US 6/4.0 mm Harmony Needles. I had to make a lot of modifications because I totally messed up the pattern. I did not knit chart A twice. I had cast off about 8 stitches when I realized this. I knit an increase row on the WS - purl side, then began chart A again. Followed by another chart B. I cannot wait to see what it looks like when it is blocked because I totally fudged this pattern. The yarn is WONDERFUL. I have two more balls, yay!!!

Simple, MINDLESS, 2x2 ribbed scarf in Lambs Pride Bulky on size US 10.50/6.5 mm Zephyr Needles. Used all of two hanks. One had a nasty knotted section which is all that is left of the yarn, less than 1 yard. The flying mohair fibers really bothered me. I had to wear a mask to keep the fibers out of my nose and throat. This is not a yarn I would buy for any of my own projects. It is very soft and has fantastic stitch definition, but I cannot tolerate the mohair.


Gail Knits was the most welcoming wonderful place. I was there for hours. I felt really guilty because my Mom was waiting in the car. But I could not tear myself away. The shop is packed with beads, buttons, books, yarns, patterns, comfy furniture, samples knit-up, and the friendliest group of knitters on earth. I had the best luck, TallGrrl who had e-mailed me the info on Gail Knits happened to be there knitting so I actually got to meet her. Gail was so helpful and she walked me through some of her designs and garments, that are featured in Vogue. It was great fun. They invited us to dinner with them, I so wanted to go, but I felt like I had punished Mom enough with the knitting mania for the day. I have planned a trip back for the Trendsetters trunk show in May 2011.

No comments: