Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Shake Shake Shake

We just had a huge earthquake 5.6 I must confess I love them. I am a native San Franciscan and I think of earthquakes as a San Francisco treat, more so than Rice-A-Roni. This is the first one that really shook us up in this house. We don't usually feel them at all. The quake is moving South, and growing in size. Yesterday there was one in Concord, about 20 miles away that was 2.9 on the Richter scale. This one was centered in the South Bay near Alum Rock and it was 5.6 on the Richter scale, and that is more than 65 miles away. Trippy. Well nothing fell over and nothing broke but it was a nice ride. I hope everyone at the epicenter is fine. Ciao for now.

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

Those are so scary to me!!! lol

Virtuous said...

Wow! I so would not want to be in an earthquake! It is something that is just totally out of your control! But glad y'all are alright over there!

Petra said...

Ooops. When we lived in the Bay Area there were two noticable Earthquakes, one was 4.3 and it really rattled my nerves as there was a really funny sound and movement in the chimney ;-)
I guess you can get used to everything. I grew up close to the biggest NATO training area in Europe where the US Army is constantly shooting day and night. At some point you just notice the really big bombs been thrown ;-)

Snarkmeister said...

I live way out in the east bay too, and I didn't feel a thing. I noticed the lights (chandelier & the pendant lights) swaying slightly, so I knew we'd just had a quake, but I don't usually feel them unless they're really big or really close. The last one I felt was the big '89 Loma Prieta quake, back when I was in high school.