Friday, December 17, 2010

Trying Something New

Well it's official, I am a Spinner. I remember when I declared myself a Knitter, it was a turning point. I believe this is another turning point in my crafting life. I have been spinning for six months and I am actually spinning yarn that I can use in knitting projects.

I am taking another small leap and joining the Completely Twisted and Arbitrary Spinning Group's (CTA) SAL - a spin along - which I never even knew existed. I have spun fiber from Cloudlover before, and she is the dyer providing the fiber for the SAL. I am confident that I can spin something lovely, with enough yardage to make something for the SAL posts. It is similar to KALs and CALs in that we all start with the same thing (pattern, yarn, what have you) process it and compare our end results. I am excited. I chose the Tempest Colorway in Polworth fiber. I love spinning Polworth.

I have also made a break from the Socks That Rock rockin' sock club. I won't be renewing in 2011, instead I spent slightly less than the membership amount on yarn and patterns from Blue Moon Fiber Arts. I am joining some new and exciting sock yarn clubs in 2011.
1. Bad Amy Knits Stripey Sock Club - it is bimonthly, 3 shipments over 6 months, beginning February 2011.

2. & 3. Janel Laidman's Art & Sole and Illuminations Colorwork Sock Clubs are also on my to do list for 2011. You know how long I have had the Enchanted Sole on the nightstand. I am extremely excited about those two clubs!! I found them by accident by the way. I was going through someones projects to see what a given yarn looked like in a particular sock pattern. The knitter posted something about the sock clubs - thank goodness - or I would have missed out. I need to take better advantage of the Ravelry Groups, seriously.

4. I am planning to throw my name into the ring for the Perfect Day Yarns club too, but I doubt if I will get in. Previous members from past years have taken dibs as they have been loyal to PDY for years. There are not that many spots to go around. I'll give it a go though.

I am in a few fiber clubs next year too.
5. The Crown Mountain Farms monthly fiber club.
6. Dyeabolical Bump & Braid Club which is a 3 month club Jan, Feb & Mar.
7. Cloudlover Fiber Club - another 3 month club, which was Nov, Dec and Jan.

I have had a minor set back, neither my Grinch Sock Kit nor my self striping Snow Man Sock yarns have arrived. I am terribly disappointed. I had plans for them. Now they will have to wait until next year. The weather has disrupted the flow of goods people, and I am not happy.

No comments: