Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I Lied

I lied. I said I was going to devote November to sock knitting so I could catch up in the 52 Pair Plunge. I lied, I have not completed a single pair of socks. I have been working diligently on my Mystic Waters Mystery Shawl. I tried to use Zephyr 2/18 Wool Silk yarn in Admiral Blue - OMG it was gorgeous. But every time I made a mistake I had to frog it - the whole piece. It could not be tinked. Lifelines were almost impossible to insert because of the super fine yarn. I was using Addi Turbo Lace needles so lifelines had to be inserted manually. The color was too dark to work on in the evenings, I could only knit it during the weekends. After frogging it for the millionth time I decided to give up on the Zephyr and Addi's. Maybe a bit too ambitious for just my second lace shawl project.

I am now knitting the shawl on Knit Picks Harmony Needles, using the cable hole to run lifelines. I perused my lovely yarn collection and finally decided on Schaefer Anne in Rain Clouds. It is a fingering weight yarn in a light turquoise with sea green making occasional appearances. Gorgeousness. I am using the safety pin style stitch markers that can be opened and slipped around the lifelines. I am almost finished with Chart B - YAY!!!! I was determined to get enough done so that I could see the Seahorses!! When I was a kid (yes about the time that sand was still a rock) my Mom would have to buy me a packet of dehydrated seahorses and the little plastic castle every time we went to the Aquarium in Golden Gate Park. Yes - every time, because of course they were all always dead by the time we went again :/

So this shawl is really something I want to make and have as a memory keepsake, of those times when Mom, my Sister and I would walk up through the panhandle to the "big playground" and go to the DeYoung Museum, Japanese Tea Garden, Aquarium and listen to the Orchestra in Golden Gate Park. I am hoping it gets easier and will be a pattern I will want to repeat because I would love to make one for my Mom and my Sister.

6 comments:

Adrienne said...

I can't wait to see your shawl! That is still something I have not tried!

Still Patrice said...

Goodness! I hope you have bette luck with this one!

Pam the Yarn Goddess said...

Hey Bev!

You have a lot of the same memories I have as a kid. I didn't think anyone but me had to buy those dehydrated seahorses, but I got one every time we went to the City - usually from the Balclutha or one of the seedy tourist shops on the Wharf.

Did you know A. Sabella's closed? We were there on the last night they were open to have dinner. The owner gave me a menu. I cried. I've been going there for 45 years, and it was mine and my Grandpa's special place.

I hate when doors close.

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the shawl too. I used Zephyr for MS3 and just so you know, I have sucessfully tinked and used life lines. Ha. The secret is, super sharp needles, like KP options or Addi lace. For lifelines you must use crochet cotton thread. So now you have some options for when you want to use zephyr again.

Necia

Bev Love said...

Necia,
I was using Addi Lace needles and Lydia Cotton thread with the Zephyr.

Bev Love said...

Pam,
OMG I don't believe it, we went to A. Sabella's Oct. 26th for my Sister's 50th birthday!!!! She kept the 50 Years Gold Napkin from the bar for her journal. They gave us the corner table looking out at the Grotto. We loved going there for our special dinners!!